Giving After the 45th
Rob Minor ’71 may have graduated from Washington and Lee nearly 50 years ago, but he and his wife Su’s move to Lexington in October 2019 proves that W&L ties run deep. Minor is serving on his 50th reunion committee, and he and Su have already established a charitable remainder trust to honor the milestone.
The five years leading up to your 50th reunion culminate in a gathering of friends, remembrance, and the opportunity to honor your W&L experience with your class gift. Unique gift opportunities for alumni celebrating the 50th reunion and beyond are available to express appreciation with a legacy gift.
Gift Credit for Bequests
After your 45th reunion until June 30 of your 50th reunion year (five year period), you can receive 50th reunion and campaign gift credit if W&L is a primary beneficiary of your estate plans.
Please complete the Bequest Intention Form, attach a copy of the provision in your will, trust or other document naming W&L as a primary beneficiary, and mail it to the address on the form.
Outright Gifts from your IRA
If you are 70 ½ or older, you can use your IRA for charitable giving up to $100,000 per year. Sometimes referred to as the IRA charitable rollover, the law is now permanent and is a terrific way to make a tax-free gift to Washington and Lee University using your qualified retirement plan.
W&L has partnered with FreeWill.com to help make it easier for you to give IRA qualified charitable distributions. Learn more about the Qualified Charitable Distribution to make your Annual Fund or other gifts to Washington and Lee.
How Do I Qualify?
- You must be 70 ½ years old or older at the time of the gift.
- Gifts must go directly from your IRA to Washington and Lee University.
- Gifts must come from a traditional IRA or Roth IRA account.
- Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per donor.
Benefits of an IRA Charitable Distribution
- Gifts can satisfy your RMD without increasing your income taxes.
- You will not pay taxes on your IRA withdrawal when gifted to Washington and Lee University.
- You may direct your gift to a program or area of your choice.
- It is a wonderful way to create an immediate impact on Washington and Lee University.
Please contact the Planned Giving Staff for assistance.